EssayDirectory - best essay services!         Guest :
EssayScam ForumEssayScam.org
Unanswered [13]  
  help    or 
Forum / Writing Careers /

Writers here - do you think writers should unite and start a writing service?

randomwriterThreads: 2

Mar 13, 09, 03:38AM | #1
I would suggest some of the best writers here can begin their own writing service and ask for fair fees from customers and also maintain their own financial interests. come on if you are writing an essay every day and helping hundreds of students to get hundreds of degrees you are probably a genius and deserve better than getting horrible HR treatment or low pay by a bunch of halfwits who employ you

WritersBeware   Mar 13, 09, 04:16AM | #2
Um, if you're qualified, you can get a job with one of the LEGITIMATE companies. They offer high, on-time payment.

randomwriterThreads: 2

Mar 13, 09, 01:04PM | #3
WB - i know you talk about legit companies. but even legit companies pay writers only 30% of the fee they get from customers. I worked with a company that specializes in preparing course materials from schools, they are also an agency and mediate between customers (in this case, schools) and freelance writers. they take 30% of the fee amount as agency fee or commission for getting the jobs for writers and writers are listed on their list and they give specific jobs to specific writers, just like essay writing companies. The only difference is they take 30% and pay the writers 70%, they treat writers like clients as well, this is how it works in 'proper' writing industry. whereas in the essay industry it is just the opposite, there is massive exploitation and companies pay 30% or lower to writers as a small fee for doing all the hard work and they keep the big chunk, as if they are the ones doing all the work and writers are simply junior workers.

WritersBeware   Mar 13, 09, 01:30PM | #4
randomwriter:
even legit companies pay writers only 30% of the fee they get from customers

I'm sorry, but you are quite incorrect. You obviously have not worked for any of the truly legitimate companies in the essay industry. They pay writers 55-70%.

aliceThreads: 2

Mar 13, 09, 03:08PM | #5
Guys, I think you are both wrong. The % that is being paid to the writer depends on the many different factors, including the volume of orders, thus revenue company receives. Every company needs to cover its costs. With large volume company gets more profits and can reduce prices and/or pay more to the writers. With small volume less money are left, so prices may be higher or writers may be paid less.

This is pure economics, works for every industry and really, has nothing to do to how legitimate the company is.

WritersBeware   Mar 13, 09, 03:21PM | #6
alice:
Guys, I think you are both wrong.

No, I'm not.

alice:
has nothing to do to how legitimate the company is

Yes, it does. Legitimate companies are willing to take losses to keep the finest writers in the industry happy and under contract. Also, the % does not change. It's actually a set payout per page, which does not change, regardless of the numbers of incoming orders.

Mar 13, 09, 04:39PM | #7
WB, companies change, from time to time, business strategies and their pricing policies. And this is when prices and % can change.

Once again, this is true for all industries, not only essay writing :)

WritersBeware   Mar 13, 09, 05:45PM | #8
alice:
And this is when prices and % can change.

Unless you show me proof that the legitimate companies have changed their pay schedules, your position does not hold water.

Mar 13, 09, 06:08PM | #9
WB, it seems we are talking in different languages :)

I am talking about basic economic and business concepts. EVERY COMPANY from time to time will revise their strategy and pricing policy without this is impossible to operate. This includes how much company is wishing to pay to suppliers. This is NORMAL.

Talking about essay-writing. **** has been raising their prices for current "49.99" service for a few years now. WHY? Because they were RECONSIDERING THEIR PRICING POLICY to incorporate inflation and etc. There is nothing wrong with this every company does it.

The word "legitimate" means "Being in compliance with the law" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/legitimate).

If one company is charging more than another does it make it non-compliant with law? Same thing with paying suppliers.

Therefore LEGITIMACY of the business and how much it is paying to suppliers are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!

WritersBeware   Mar 13, 09, 06:33PM | #10
alice:
The word "legitimate" means "Being in compliance with the law" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/legitimate).

Words have multiple meanings. It also means "authentic" or "genuine." A site that is NOT "authentic" or "genuine" may still technically operate within the law. If a site claims to be based in the US, but is actually in Ukraine, the site is NOT "authentic" or "genuine."

I know for a 100% FACT that the top, legitimate, American companies do NOT lower their standard payouts to writers, regardless of behind-the-scenes circumstances. They have long-time, dedicated writers on staff. Lowering their payments would be both ethically inappropriate and a very poor business decision that would lead to the best writers seeking employment elsewhere.

Bottom line: the legitimate companies pay their writers 55-70% of the customer's total payment. With the remaining 30-45%, the companies have to pay all of their operating costs (which can be quite substantial) before actualizing profits.

antiessayPosts: 1

Mar 15, 09, 01:09PM | #11
Hey...
Raising some interesting questions here. Is anybody skilled in IT here? Knows how to manage and set up a website? I could share my experiences, since I used to work for an essay company.

Baker_dPosts: 22

Mar 15, 09, 09:19PM | #12
Well.....I have the resources to manage and set up a site, but, is it that simple?
I mean, how does one go about managing SEO and site rankings?
Isn't that necessary in this business?
This is what I have guaged from my research so far!

Baker_dPosts: 22

Mar 15, 09, 09:23PM | #13
WritersBeware:
Um, if you're qualified, you can get a job with one of the LEGITIMATE companies. They offer high, on-time payment.

And....how should I begin if I want to get a job with such a company?
Please could you help and inform me?

dominofxPosts: 6

Jan 20, 11, 10:39PM | #14
IMHO the companies that charge the high prices are usually the legitimate companies.

MoorePosts: 5

Feb 1, 11, 08:59AM | #15
It's a good idea if you have some computer skills. If not you can work with programming contractor/elancer.

pheelyks   Feb 1, 11, 10:40AM | #16
Moore:
It's a good idea if you have some computer skills. If not you can work with programming contractor/elancer.

Having English skills and not being an obvious SPAMMER also come in handy....

travel_birdPosts: 5

Feb 1, 11, 01:19PM | #17
pheelyks, please PM with writing company recommendations, thx. Not you, Moore!!!

editor75Threads: 13

Feb 1, 11, 03:44PM | #18
this is a good idea! I posted a similar thread a while ago and got the same reaction from the forum regulars. unfortunately, although this is a good idea, it is the wrong place to talk about anything productive. this forum is dominated by entrenched forces who are extremely hostile towards any change in the status quo. the closed-minded owners who post on these boards want their writers ignorant, content, and subservient, so that they can continue to take the lion's share. meanwhile, they claim that they are "legit" all they please-- no one is checking up. these dim-wits aren't intelligent enough to do the work, but they're cunning enough to steal the profits. don't listen to their propaganda or provoke them here-- there's nothing in it for you but a lot of threats and nonsense. the few writers who post regularly here are cattle. if writers are going to organize here, I suggest that it should be by PM only.

WritersBeware   Feb 1, 11, 03:55PM | #19
editor75:
this is a good idea! I posted a similar thread a while ago and got the same reaction from the forum regulars. unfortunately, although this is a good idea, it is the wrong place to talk about anything productive. this forum is dominated by entrenched forces who are extremely hostile towards any change in the status quo. the closed-minded owners who post on these boards want their writers ignorant, content, and subservient, so that they can continue to take the lion's share. meanwhile, they claim that they are "legit" all they please-- no one is checking up. these dim-wits aren't intelligent enough to do the work, but they're cunning enough to steal the profits. don't listen to their propaganda or provoke them here-- there's nothing in it for you but a lot of threats and nonsense. the few writers who post regularly here are cattle. if writers are going to organize here, I suggest that it should be by PM only.

FU, dumbass. You're actually comparing your intellect to anyone else's here?

Feb 1, 11, 05:12PM | #20
no, I don't claim to be intelligent. I do claim that "some people" on these boards are entrenched, hostile, and protecting their own interests... and look who answers! this makes me feel clever, although I'm not, really. WritersBeware, you could probably make a rock feel smart.

2MockingBirdThreads: 1

Feb 1, 11, 06:06PM | #21
editor75:
some people" on these boards are entrenched, hostile, and protecting their own interests

I have always suspected that some of the forum regulars are guns for hire and that is why even the mods have taken great exception and dissociated themselves from them. I get what you are saying about writers uniting but i think you are hopelessly idealistic with a stuff straight from George Orwell animal farm. Assuming that writers were to unite and start the writing service you are talking about, "pigs" (read scammers or ukranians or pakistanis etc etc ) would "wisen up" and scam the other animals (writers).

pheelyks   Feb 1, 11, 06:47PM | #22
editor75:
the few writers who post regularly here are cattle.

Yeah. Cattle earning double the average national salary working less than full time from the comfort of our couches/bathtubs/on roadtrips/etc. Moo.
2MockingBird:
i think you are hopelessly idealistic with a stuff straight from George Orwell animal farm.

That was almost an apt analogy. It fails miserably for anyone that has actually read this book, of course, but nice attempt.
2MockingBird:
Assuming that writers were to unite and start the writing service you are talking about, "pigs" (read scammers or ukranians or pakistanis etc etc ) would "wisen up" and scam the other animals (writers).

Yeah...definitely need to work on making this actually applicable to the situation at hand. I'll give you an "A" for effort, though.

Feb 1, 11, 08:53PM | #23
pheelyks:
Cattle earning double the average national salary

so you make 80K, which isn't actually all that much to crow about, depending on where you live. got an IRA? got insurance? subtract those. got a family with insurance? subtract. go to the dentist? pay for those road trips? deduct. there's your comparison to the national average. it's a piss-poor situation, a con-job, and a scam... and you're proud of being trapped in it, because you can "write from the bathtub." wow.

Feb 1, 11, 08:55PM | #24
2MockingBird:
. Assuming that writers were to unite and start the writing service you are talking about, "pigs" (read scammers or ukranians or pakistanis etc etc ) would "wisen up" and scam the other animals (writers).

life doesn't imitate art. it's the other way around. you can only be taken advantage of, if you let people take advantage of you.

pheelyks   Feb 1, 11, 11:15PM | #25
editor75:
so you make 80K, which isn't actually all that much to crow about, depending on where you live. got an IRA? got insurance? subtract those. got a family with insurance? subtract. go to the dentist? pay for those road trips? deduct.

I'm well aware of my "deductions." Almost all of the things you list, however, are only partially paid by employers if they pay for them at all (employees still contribute significant amounts to healthcare premiums in the US, generally speaking, and everything I spend on insurance is deductible as a business expense--premiums for most people aren't, and parts fo many plans can be taxed as additional income). Most insurance plans also don;t cover dental without exorbitant extra premiums. You really need to actually know what you're talking about to debate effectively.
editor75:
and you're proud of being trapped

I'm not trapped in anything. I have two degrees from a well respected university and could find myself an entry level job in a variety of different businesses if I chose to. Instead, I enjoy being able to spend a lot more time with my family than most people, working when I want and taking time off when I want, and making plenty of money.

Your problem (still) is that you refuse to believe any writer in this industry could be happy without deluding themselves. You keep saying that this forum isn't a place for real debates, but when people explain themselves rationally and logically you discount them as toadies or short-sighted morons. The only person that actually has a problem truly debating this issue is YOU, and it has been since you showed up.

smirkPosts: 162

Feb 2, 11, 04:00AM | #26
antiessay:
Is anybody skilled in IT here? Knows how to manage and set up a website? I could share my experiences, since I used to work for an essay company.

and this means "can someone develop a web-based application for me? i'll provide a screen shot of the writer's panel i took in return"

smirkPosts: 162

Feb 2, 11, 04:08AM | #27
editor75:
these dim-wits aren't intelligent enough to do the work, but they're cunning enough to steal the profits.

believe it or not, but those capable to launch a website (funding, registration, billing, staff recruitment, etc) are usually capable of typing up a couple of pages.

of course, this may not apply to coding or maths/physics assignments, but an admission essay or freshman's paper wouldn't be a big deal

zonedout13Posts: 4

Apr 11, 11, 10:16AM | #28
Why is there so much hostility? Cant you have differing views without resorting to insults?

GermanGThreads: 1

Apr 12, 11, 05:33AM | #29
yes please start something like that where also privat clients can contact without the risk of getting ripped off!