EssayDirectory - best essay services!         Guest :
EssayScam ForumEssayScam.org
Unanswered [13]  
  help    or 
Forum / Writing Careers /

Making a full-time living writing model papers -how realistic is that?

««  1  2
srandrewsThreads: 17
 Observer
Sep 6, 12, 02:41PM | #41
There are three perspectives: the company's, the freelance writer's, and the customer's.

-Company. You presented a good case for why companies need more money. I'm not so sure that customers see that as a reason that they should pay more. I also don't see it as a reason for freelance writer's to charge less. (It might be a reason that they could charge less, but not a reason they -should- charge less.) I was curious as to what additional value a company brings that would make it worthwhile, in a customer's eyes, to pay for the company's overhead.

-Freelance writer. There are probably very few writers who make their entire living from private clients. Most also work for the companies. The work is all pretty much the same, and I'd think the quality is the same, on average. As a writer, unless you think you can't do a very good job, I see no reason to charge less than the companies charge. I see no reason to undercut the companies, because I don't see any evidence that, in a head-to-head competition, customers have any particular preference for companies.

-Customers. I don't know what they "prefer" or if they have a strong preference. Mainly, they just want a good paper at a reasonable price. The companies are easier to find. They're likely always to have a writer available in the subject you need. I think customers like having a personal relationship with a writer, but they don't know where to find someone they can trust. If things go wrong, they might feel they have more recourse with an established company. Are they willing to pay more for those benefits? Who knows?

In summary: I don't think most customers have a strong preference either way. Therefore, I don't see any reason that freelance writers should charge less than companies. The overhead costs are the concern of the company, not of customers or independent writers.

karen_criticalproofPosts: 53
 Company Representative
Sep 7, 12, 12:07PM | #42
srandrews:
Mainly, they just want a good paper at a reasonable price

I dont agree with this. Whilst this may be true of a substantial portion of customers, my best clients all say the immortal words "I dont care about the money I just want it done properly." Which leads me to believe it is quality and not quantity which clients most aspire to.

And I make every effort to ensure that all my customers are satisfied with the outcome. I remember one particular instance in which the client was not happy with one of my editor's work, and my editor would also not budge, so I got an independent opinion from a third party and agreed to abide by it. It was not my area of expertise so was not able to make a judgement myself - the client had ordered an MA Distinction. The 3rd party thought it was only worthy of a Merit so I refunded the client in full as it was an editing job. Sorry gone off topic a bit.

Observer
Sep 7, 12, 01:37PM | #43
Well, I guess a "reasonable price" is in the eye of the beholder. But yes, I'll agree with you; I find that my clients simply are not shopping based on price. They don't want to get gouged, but that's more a matter of principle than of not being able to afford it. They want a quality paper, on time, and they don't want to have to think about it any more. I don't position myself as a bargain provider, but as a value provider. If they want a cheaper paper, most assuredly they can find one. They never do. Other writers may have different experiences depending on their particular client base. I'm like you as far as going the extra mile. Word gets around fast.

karen_criticalproofPosts: 53
 Company Representative
Sep 7, 12, 05:06PM | #44
srandrews:
They don't want to get gouged, but that's more a matter of principle than of not being able to afford it.

Absolutely there is always someone out there cheaper but definitely their work will not be better.

andywoods57Threads: 1
 Writer
Sep 8, 12, 12:28AM | #45
Companies are there to make profit, but while doing so they should ensure that they are not unfair to the writers as well.

CascadeThreads: 3
 Company Representative
Sep 25, 12, 05:27AM | #46
Well I guess if you are making $15 per page and writing about 15 pages a day, it is about $225. Assuming that you are working around 20 days a month, it can easily be $4500 a month and $40,000 annually. But the biggest issue is whether you are being consistent or not. Once you have few regular clients, it shouldn't be that difficult. But the first couple of years will always be difficult for most of the starters.

Observer
Sep 25, 12, 02:44PM | #47
For most, I think the workload over the year is a laittle more variable than that, but it's probably a fair average. Do you think that amount of work would typically be available, though?

CascadeThreads: 3
 Company Representative
Sep 25, 12, 10:45PM | #48
The consistent flow of orders is going to be an issue for sure. But I think if you can get yourself affiliated with one or two larger firms then that part will be covered significantly. They usually invest a lot in promoting their services and thus secures a whole lot of orders from potential clients. So you wont have to worry about getting out looking for clients that often. However, I would say it is safer to have some personal clients on your list as well. But in terms of academic writing, securing a benchmark amount like the one I have mentioned above is going to be quite a challenge. May be you just need to work extra hard during the pick seasons to cover that part.

findmichellesPosts: 7
 Writer
Dec 22, 12, 02:41AM | #50
Depends on the skills of the individual. I am new to to freelance myself. I am technically sound. ie, I have been an in house writer for a website. So I have all the tools which the average writer doesn't. I am very good at my work & professionally know how plagiarism detectors like turnitin works. My research on academic writing is really very good. I am a professor & the research our site has done on academic writing is unparalleled. With most humility, not many know about the work as much as we do. We have done so much homework. But though I am good this way, I am oblivious of the genuine well paying sites in this industry. This is a real pain in the rear end. I am really unsure if this can be taken as a full time option. Is it viable? Writers plz advice.

JohnsMomPosts: 299
 Writer
Dec 22, 12, 11:10AM | #51
I would recommend that you target the ESL market where your work will be most appreciated. You will have a hard time making a decent living at this until your English is not recognizable as coming from a foreign speaker.

LadyBeaverPosts: 3
 Writer
Dec 22, 12, 11:28AM | #52
ProfessorVerb:
Not bad for smoking cigarettes in my underwear.

Ha. Okay, I'm impressed. And I'd probably take that kind of workload if I could get it (though it'd kill me soon enough, I'm sure). Expanding a clientele base seems to be key, as Free says. I've had 2 private clients over the past 2 years who've supplied me with steady work, but our connections were rather serendipitous. Anyone have advice on how to make yourself more visible to possible clients?

AlephThreads: 1
 Writer
Dec 22, 12, 09:18PM | #53
ESL is indeed where the money is at. A lot of countries are spamming American schools with students who are barely functional English speakers. Many of the ESL's I work with are taking advanced-level academic courses in liberal arts and are incapable of having basic conversations in English. It's really sad.

««  1  2