EssayDirectory - the best essay services!     Guest :
EssayScam ForumEssayScam.org
Students, Writers, Essay Services - The Insider News    
Forum / General Talk / answers: 32

Why foreign essay companies start to win the fight against domestic (US/UK/Canada/Australia)?

Jun 25, 2012, 09:26PM | #1
1. Foreign essay website owners are constantly committed to do a good job.

They know if they screw something up then the public (and the unfair competitors) will try to scrutinize them much more than they would have scrutinized a domestic company.

Comment: Foreign company owners tend to work much harder to achieve success. It is not easy to even start a company abroad, so whoever commits to it is not a college drop-out but someone with an advanced degree. In result, they care more about their business because they know starting anew to build their reputation would be a painful process and would take years to complete. They don't have will or resources to remove negative comments of displeasured clients and bully them like some domestic companies have been proven to do.

2. Foreign essay websites are more frequently updated, more user friendly, and more up-to-date.

Comment: I'm not sure why some reputable domestic companies don't spend more time and resources to update their websites and take advantage of the latest technologies. I know some essay providers may claim they cannot afford to do that because they pay their writers more and make less profit, but let's be serious - it doesn't take arms and legs to create a mobile version of the main website or to even build a custom ticket based system for clients and writers.

3. Foreign essay websites operation cost is lower despite the fact they offer more.

Comment: It is believed that foreign sites have more chances of finding an advanced ESL person to do a customer service job because they may work with the people the company is based in. But they also use the popular American or British freelancer sites to find such people, so it seems foreign sites care more about their clients and they try to offer them more.

4. Foreign essay websites customer service is usually more polite, more available, and effective.

Comment: Advanced ESL customer service people are easy to find and they can work 24/7 not because they are cheap, but because they can work in different time zones. Some domestic website owners may claim they cannot afford to hire such people, but this is yet another excuse not to provide what customers deserve.

5. Freelance essay writers don't care who pays them as long as payment is fair and made on time.

Comment: It is the fact more and more freelance writers choose to work (or at least give a try) with foreign sites. They may make slightly less per page (let's say $8 versus $10 for a new writer), but they are not being cheated as some competitors may claim. Plus they have more chances of actually working because many clients prefer to pay less and thus order from a little less expensive websites. So those writers who don't mind working for 20% less BUT have stead work flow at the same time are what makes foreign based companies. In the end, the customer receives the same work for (usually) less money written by the same writer that usually has accounts with domestic websites, too.

----------------------------------------------------------

DISCLOSURE: I own a small foreign (India) based company. I hope my reference comes as objective as it can be.

SPECIAL THANKS TO: EssayScam team for removing bullies from the forum and allowing civilized discussions again.

Jun 26, 2012, 08:19AM | #2
Sachin:
SPECIAL THANKS TO: EssayScam team for removing bullies from the forum and allowing civilized discussions again.

None of this self-promotion is worth anything. If you people think that just because WBullsh*t was booted from this forum, stuff like this is going to seem more believable to readers, you're kidding yourselves.

This "industry" is all about quality. There are bad foreign companies just as there are bad "American" companies. Giving empty reasons why one is better than the other won't make it so. Let's let this forum stay as a place where people can openly express their grievances against companies, writers, or clients.

Jun 26, 2012, 10:00AM | #3
EW_writer:
None of this self-promotion is worth anything. If you people think that just because WBullsh*t was booted from this forum, stuff like this is going to seem more believable to readers, you're kidding yourselves.

This "industry" is all about quality. There are bad foreign companies just as there are bad "American" companies. Giving empty reasons why one is better than the other won't make it so. Let's let this forum stay as a place where people can openly express their grievances against companies, writers, or clients.

I find it all a little sickening to be quite honest. Foreign companies are muddying the waters with their sub-par writing services and slave labour'esk remuneration schemes. I will say this much; there are a few good foreign writers but no, there are no good foreign companies.

I miss pheelyks and WB giving these guys a mouthful...

Jun 26, 2012, 10:22AM | #4
Ryanbighead:
I find it all a little sickening to be quite honest. Foreign companies are muddying the waters with their sub-par writing services and slave labour'esk remuneration schemes. I will say this much; there are a few good foreign writers but no, there are no good foreign companies.

Companies, like noticed by the above members, have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of writing. Companies are there to provide platform for writers (and take a % of the payment). Just like odesk.com, elance.com, or many similar sites do. Since this is an online job, a writer doesn't really care if a server is based in India or USA. What he or she cares about is how fast payment will be released and the overall payment standards.

Jun 26, 2012, 12:17PM | #5
Foreign companies are the biggest liars and scam artists out there. They aren't bound by US/UK laws, they create 100% FAKE reviews of their flashy but uselles websites, and their ESL-level papers (if completed at all) are error-ridden and often totally plagiarised.

Let's be serious. If you're a student, would you trust India, Pakistan, or Ukraine based company to write your ENGLISH paper? Really?

Jun 26, 2012, 05:26PM | #7
Peters:
If you're a student, would you trust India, Pakistan, or Ukraine based company to write your ENGLISH paper? Really?

What if the student is ESL him/herself? There are international students studying in the USA and UK colleges and universities, and of course, these students are assessed through the same criteria set for assessment of native students. Students are expected to write their papers themselves, and it is quite clear that many ESL students are not fluent in English language, so should these students are not allowed to write in English language just because English is not their native language? The answer is: No.

I agree that ESL writers should not claim to write English literature papers if their English is not to the level of proficiency attained by native writers, but some ESL writers can for sure produce quality papers on topics they are qualified to write on. A writer who has gained outstanding English language skills cannot necessarily do a good job on accounting and finance projects if he/she is not qualified in such fields, so in order to write papers on these topics, students needs writers who have mastered the topics. I am not saying that acquiring English language skills is not important for ESL writers, but my point is that knowledge of subject of paper is equally important to be considered by students when looking for hiring a writer, and that it is not necessary that students will get native writers who are expert in the field of their study. It does not matter whether a writer is ESL or native; all that matters is the QUALITY of the product which can also be produced by ESL writers.

By the way, no company can write papers in any language. In fact, your statement does make much sense. That's okay if you are against scam companies from these countries, but does not help if you do not believe that there are qualified writers from even these countries.

Jun 26, 2012, 06:37PM | #8
Again, none of these discussions are worth anything. The only threads that matter on this forum are those that expose the questionable practices of companies, writers, and clients, foreign or not.

Ryanbighead:
WB giving these guys a mouthful...

WBullsh*t is no better than the jokers on this thread who are trying to prove that foreign companies are better. Where quality of writing is concerned, the location of the company (or the writer) remains a non-issue.

Jun 26, 2012, 08:38PM | #9
The problem are Indian, Pakistani, Ukrainian, and Kenyan SCAMMERS in this business. Take the Indian rippoff - EssaysCouncil.com (what idiot came up with this name anyway). They create bogus review websites and libel other companies. I mean - they create hundreds of FAKE accounts and post LIES on their message boards and false review websites.

I have no problem with sites like this one that provide equal opportunity to view your voice (whether negative or positive) and where you actually understand what people write in English. But when the FRAUDSTERS intentionally pick on their competition and libel them by giving totally FABRICATED reviews, there is a big concern.

That's what is killing fair competition. They think they can get away with it only because they are based in the poor countries with poor legal system and that is the only reason they continue doing it.

Jun 26, 2012, 10:14PM | #10
amnateeb:
What if the student is ESL him/herself? There are international students studying in the USA and UK colleges and universities, and of course, these students are assessed through the same criteria set for assessment of native students. Students are expected to write their papers themselves, and it is quite clear that many ESL students are not fluent in English language, so should these students are not allowed to write in English language just because English is not their native language? The answer is: No.

I've had rewrite requests from company customers who said my language was too advanced for them. That's not a valid reason for a rewrite. On the other hand, when they specify in advance that they want me to use simple language because they're ESL, I do my best to write short sentences and use the simplest vocabulary possibe, which actually takes a lot longer than just writing in my own voice.

Should ESL writers be "allowed" to write in English? of course. Is it OK for them to purposely not disclose they're ESLs because American customers prefer non-ESL writers? No.

amnateeb:
I am not saying that acquiring English language skills is not important for ESL writers, but my point is that knowledge of subject of paper is equally important to be considered by students when looking for hiring a writer, and that it is not necessary that students will get native writers who are expert in the field of their study. It does not matter whether a writer is ESL or native; all that matters is the QUALITY of the product which can also be produced by ESL writers.
Yes, but subject-matter proficiency is a constant and nobody critical of ESL writers is suggesting that any native English speaker is necessarily qualified to write specific subect matter just by virtue of language proficiency. My only problem is with ESL writers who purposely avoid disclosing that they're ESL, because if customers don't want an ESL writer (which is their prerogative), the writer doesn't have any right to misrepresent the situation. Very few ESL writers sound like native English speakers and that's why American customers prefer American writers. If ESLs disclose that they're ESLs, I have no problem with them.

Jun 27, 2012, 03:52AM | #11
FreelanceWriter:
Should ESL writers be "allowed" to write in English? of course. Is it OK for them to purposely not disclose they're ESLs because American customers prefer non-ESL writers? No.

I agree. And I believe this should be the case with foreign companies, too.

Jun 27, 2012, 03:59AM | #12
Correction:

amnateeb:
should these students are not allowed to write in English language just because English is not their native language?

should these students be not allowed to write in English language just because English is not their native language?

Jun 27, 2012, 03:51PM | #14
why would a writer potentially kill a sale by warning a customer of their language non-status? get real.

if the customer has language issues and is nervous about their professor, they should change the paper to match their voice. your writer cannot intuit your language quirks.

Jun 27, 2012, 04:48PM | #15
editor75:
why would a writer potentially kill a sale by warning a customer of their language non-status? get real.

Because purposely failing to disclose something that customers obviously care about (a lot) in making their decision about what writer to hire so that they unknowingly hire an ESL is dishonest and shady. That's why.

editor75:
if the customer has language issues and is nervous about their professor, they should change the paper to match their voice. your writer cannot intuit your language quirks.
The fact that customers don't want ESL writers doing their work is not an "issue" or a "language quirk" of the customer and it's none of your business why customers don't want to hire anybody who communicates in the broken ESL "English" evident throughout this forum in practically every post from all of you ESLs. Nobody wants to pay you for work that they're going to have to translate back into native-language-sounding English. Your "language quirks" shouldn't be a customer's problem. Most American customers simply don't want anybody whose writing sounds like that of most ESLs and that's why many of you shady dishonest ESL writers continue to try to hide the fact that you're ESL.

As Helenrob loves to say, "just let customers decide for themselves" if it matters to them whether or not a writer is a native English speaker or someone who speak English and writes English with a very thick foregin "accent." Just be honest about it because customers obviously do care very much where (and when) their writer learned English.

Jun 28, 2012, 06:33AM | #16
FreelanceWriter:
That's why.

in a perfect world, a struggling ESL writer may be as "honest and forthright" as you imagine. in the real world, this type of writer, already desperate, is not going to potentially kill a sale. it just doesn't make sense.

FW, I think the reason you won't take a walk in this writer's shoes, and try taking your own advice about disclosure, is that you're here to compete for clients.

I know WB's glass house is vacant, and it's tempting, but at your age, I would find squatting embarrassing. the next time you want to give ESL writers boring, fascist advice they won't take, try keeping it to yourself.

Jun 28, 2012, 12:23PM | #17
editor75:
in a perfect world, a struggling ESL writer may be as "honest and forthright" as you imagine. in the real world, this type of writer, already desperate, is not going to potentially kill a sale. it just doesn't make sense.
Everybody here already understands your position: Many ESL writers (like you) have no choice but to lie about being ESLs because they know full well that most American students don't want anybody who speaks and writes like an ESL doing their work. You think that's fine because you believe the ESL writers' right to take their customers' money under false pretenses trumps their customers' right to decide for themselves what kind of writer they want to use. I got it; I just strongly disagree. So does every criminal justice system in the developed part of the world when it comes to fraud in every other industry.

editor75:
FW, I think the reason you won't take a walk in this writer's shoes, and try taking your own advice about disclosure, is that you're here to compete for clients.
What else would you like me to "disclose"? I've "disclosed" exactly what essay companies I write for since the day I first joined this forum and I was recently told to stop defending them or discussing them as a condition of maintaining my membership and I've abided by that request. A few days ago, I uploaded scans to "disclose" that I earned my law degree exactly where I said I had after you and those other two idiots suggested that I'd lied about my education and started publicly congratulating one another for "outing" me. In the process, that also "disclosed" that I live and work in NYC, which is something else that you idiots have previously accused me of lying about to discredit me. What else do you want me to "disclose"? Should I "stand in the shoes" of someone who really needs money more than I do and also "disclose" my bank account and PIN for their use? My full name and street address so you nutjobs can stalk me and harass me offline too?

editor75:
I know WB's glass house is vacant, and it's tempting, but at your age, I would find squatting embarrassing. the next time you want to give ESL writers boring, fascist advice they won't take, try keeping it to yourself.

I know absolutely nothing about the person you're referring to except whatever everybody else here knows from previous posts and all anybody has to do be sure of that is go back to some of my earliest posts on this forum from around October 2008 to see how much we once detested one another.

Jun 28, 2012, 12:49PM | #18
editor75:

There are exactly 4 types of members on this forum:

1. Writers
2. Customers
3. Company Reps
4. Company Reps pretending not to be company reps.

Nobody joins this forum just to "observe" this industry without a personal interest in it. I've always admitted that I'm here for the exact same reason as every other writer here; I just don't break any forum rules or resort to dishonest attacks on anybody else to "compete." You've clearly "disclosed" that you believe it's perfectly OK for writers to lie to customers about their native language skills because you can't compete for their business if you're honest about that. Your two friends, "Stu4" and "mre" think it's perfectly OK to "compete" by making totally false allegations about other writers and other companies. Lucky for any prospective customers (and legitimate American writers like me who speak and write in good English), their English language "skills" are clearly evident in all of their posts.

Jun 28, 2012, 01:09PM | #19
editor75:

Furthermore, I'm "in your shoes" anytime a British student specifically requests a British-educated writer. I may believe that I'm qualified to do the work but if I submit a bid for it, I always admit that I'm a US native and US-educated and I never try to get their business by pretending I'm British-educated. That's all I'm suggesting ESL writers do: admit it and try your best to convince customers that you're still qualified to do the work; just stop lying to get their business under false pretenses.

Jun 28, 2012, 02:10PM | #20
FreelanceWriter:
Your two friends, "Stu4" and "mre" think it's perfectly OK to "compete" by making totally false allegations about other writers and other companies. Lucky for any prospective customers (and legitimate American writers like me who speak and write in good English), their English language "skills" are clearly evident in all of their posts.

I am not friends with editor. I discredit you because I simply do not like you. Don't try and flatter yourself into believing there is some grand conspiracy. You are an ass so I treat you like an ass. Simple as that.

Jun 28, 2012, 05:15PM | #21
mre:
I discredit you because I simply do not like you.

And why is that so?

I did not know Freelance Writer when I joined this forum, and he was the first one who attacked me for my language skills. Initially, I hated him, but after sometime, I realised he is really a genuine writer in this industry, and for that reason, I have recommended him to many potential customers who asked me for projects I could not do a good job on.

Although I am not confident about the people Freelance Writer refers to customers, I am sure he himself is a good writer. I have had two customers who were referred to another writer by Freelance Writer, but they did not have any good experience with that one. I don't want to disclose his S/N or real name, but if Freelance Writer thinks I am lying, I can post his name here. Same is the case with pheelyks. I have recently received a request from a customer for an assignment, who had ordered a business process management project from pheelyks, and not only was he not at all happy with the product, but also he hated the way he deals with customers. The person told me that pheelyks stopped replying to his posts when he emailed him that he did not liked the work because it did not meet the initial requirements. Later, I wrote two papers for that person, but why did he not complain for the papers I wrote? The reason is: all that is required by the customer is the paper that meets the stipulated requirements.

Jun 28, 2012, 06:17PM | #22
amnateeb:
I did not know Freelance Writer when I joined this forum, and he was the first one who attacked me for my language skills. Initially, I hated him, but after sometime, I realised he is really a genuine writer in this industry, and for that reason, I have recommended him to many potential customers who asked me for projects I could not do a good job on. Although I am not confident about the people Freelance Writer refers to customers, I am sure he himself is a good writer.

Thank you. I don't remember what I said about your language skills, but if I did criticize or ridicule them, it would have been in the context of believing that you'd been unfair in your comments here to someone else. I'm not in the habit of just jumping on anybody about language skills without some other reason for being antagonistic in my tone. Thanks for remaining objective; I've tried to as well since then.

amnateeb:
I have had two customers who were referred to another writer by Freelance Writer, but they did not have any good experience with that one. I don't want to disclose his S/N or real name, but if Freelance Writer thinks I am lying, I can post his name here.
It happens to everybody in this industry. If you write approximately 700 or 800 assignments for a few hundred different clients every year, there will be some instances every year where someone isn't thrilled with your best conscientious effort for them. It ruins your day when it happens. I've had 2 or 3 so far this year, halfway through 2012. Sometimes, clients can also be unreasonable and get angry we don't offer free revisions to add things they forgot to tell us until after the work was provided. Other times, once we explain that, they just pay for new material and there's no problem. But even in the worst case, there's a good-faith dispute about something and never about getting plagiarized work, or no work, etc.

The worst experience I had this year was for a 30-pg literature review that I was hesitant about in the first place and said so up front. The client pre-paid for the first 15 pages and sent about 25 sources. In the interim, I spoke to the client on the phone and we discovered that we had fundamental differences about our knowledge and belief on the the subject and we also had a personality conflict. We ended up shouting at one another about a nutrition topic. Since exactly half of the sources (12 or 13 out of 25) were on the half the material that we didn't have a disagreement about, I did 15 pages of the lit review on that part, using all 12-13 sources on that stuff. By that time, the customer had paid me for the second half and I refunded it in full immediately and referred her to a writer I trusted to do the second part based on the other 12-13 sources after checking with him first and sending him all the material, (and it's not the person you know and don't trust). He was standing by waiting for her to contact him but she never did.

This same client was also very upset that I changed around the structure of her paper to make the most sense to me. As I said, I write about 800 papers every year and maybe one-quarter of them provide a similar outline. I usually end up making some changes to them as I'm writing to produce the best possible paper and if I've done that already 100 times this year, I got "thank you so much" 99 times. Sometimes, customers can get overly ambitious dictating the details of writing that they're not doing themselves. Most of the time, if they were capable of fulfilling their own requirements for the project, they wouldn't be paying for my services in the first place. Every once in a while, we just outright blow a very difficult assignment that we didn't realize would be so difficult for us. That also happened to me once this year so far, and I immediately issued a 50% refund reflecting the part I just couldn't do without even being asked for it. The client wasn't happy, obviously; but there was nothing dishonest about it.

Anyway, the point is that's not a "scam" and that happens to even the best and most honest writers. As you said, I'm a genuine writer, my work is usually very good, and I'm honest and fair and appreciative of my clients and their trust. I'm not perfect by any stretch and sometimes I do make mistakes...honest ones. Of course, there will soon be two barely-English-speaking idiots chiming in about "how dare you ever change an outline?" and "why should a client have to worry about your nutrition beliefs?" and "how dare you not be 100% sure you can do a good job on any project before taking payment?" (etc), but they're not looking for any honest conversation (like you), just in sniping from the trees to "compete" with me by trying to damage my reputation. I appreciate the way you posted about it instead of using it the way they will both try to soon enough and hope you consider this a fair and direct response.

Jun 28, 2012, 06:43PM | #23
Yes. I understand your point, and really believe that
FreelanceWriter:
the point is that's not a "scam" and that happens to even the best and most honest writers.

The best thing is that you explain the situation (or the problem, whatever it is) to the customers if they have issues. The writers who try to avoid replying to emails of customers when they complain are not honest.

FreelanceWriter:
Of course, there will soon be two barely-English-speaking idiots chiming in about "how dare you ever change an outline?" and "why should a client have to worry about your nutrition beliefs?" and "how dare you not be 100% sure you can do a good job on any project before taking payment?" (etc)

LMAO!

FreelanceWriter:
you consider this a fair and direct response.

Sure.

Correction (to avoid confusion):
amnateeb:
pheelyks stopped replying to his emails

I write my forum posts in a hurry, which is why I make mistakes.

Jun 28, 2012, 10:50PM | #24
FreelanceWriter:
My full name and street address so you nutjobs can stalk me and harass me offline too?

FW treats his clients just as badly as pheelyks, maybe worse. they have the same snide, know-it-all tone. try convincing a know-it-all that they need to do revisions. "sorry, it wasn't in the instructions." keep up that page count, scumbag. it beats government work.

FreelanceWriter:
Many ESL writers (like you)

yes, I know that you're an ex-government hack and you live in some gentrified part of Bklyn. but don't flatter yourself: no one wants to stalk your boring ass.

apparently, though, although I know so much about you, you don't know that I'm apple pie as all ****. if you look up "All American," there's a picture of my grinning, corn-fed mug. assuming too much about a stranger, you creepo spook: it says more about you than it does about me.

Jun 29, 2012, 02:00AM | #25
Editor75 you are truly a douche and so is pheelyks. I am a lurker on this board and have seen enough from you two idiots to paint a picture of your idiocracy.....

"why would a writer potentially kill a sale by warning a customer of their language non-status? get real."

Because honesty is still what some decent people have around here. Because writers like FW care about that **** to make sure you do well.....

By all means I am not a good writer so I'll save you the time on flaming me on how bad of a writer I am...... But I did just wanna say did luck out out and have found FW and none of you other tool bags out there that think you know everything........I have delt with FreelanceWriter for about a year now and I have not received anything beside exceptional work from him(A's on all work). He is by far the most polite and honest person I have met on this board. He will tell you straight up if he can or cannot do something. From the looks of it, you have other agendas in mind and jealous.... You are a troll and just trying to take credibility away from a good writer....FW people will always be envious of others that are doing well

Jun 29, 2012, 07:51AM | #26
PaulT:
FW people will always be envious of others that are doing well

Here is the thing...FW attacked me when I was honestly asking him a question out of curiosity. He began to get very defensive and started assuming things from my post (which were never intended and I apologized for these). He poo pooed my apology, so I began to attack him right back because he appeared to be an arrogant prick. He may be a good guy to you, but he immediately entered my "arrogant prick that lacks self-confidence so is always on the defensive" kind of guy. Do you seriously blame me for my messages concerning him? If you look at my posts, I originally stated the following:

1) Hey FW, you probably do not do a lot of essays concerning actual case law (JUST LIKE ME) because you do not have access to lexis (which is a database that shepardizes cases really well among other things)

----He took this as "you cannot do a case law essay because you suck as a writer and never attended law school"

2) I then explained my actions and apologized if he took it the wrong way

----FW replied with "you intentionally attacked me with your post and I do not believe that you are a law school graduate and you are in fact an ESL writer"

WTF?

So...I attack him. You should see why I did what I did. I am not attempting to steal customers from him. The fact is I do not even know him. I do not know his reputation and I do not know him as a person. What I thought we had in common has become a hindrance for me to know him better. I freelance for a major writing website on occasion, and this message board will do nothing for bringing me any extra business. I usually just slum here to see how the writing business is evolving...and that's it. I have no ax to grind, and really wish him the best. But if he attacks me then naturally I will attack him. If he cannot take the attacks and goes on the defensive, then he did not learn much from his law school education. They teach Socratic there FW?

Jun 29, 2012, 09:41AM | #27
PaulT:
Because writers like FW care about that **** to make sure you do well.....

ugh. no one feels all warm and fuzzy helping you to cheat your way through school. this is about money.

btw, I've often wondered: how does it feel knowing you have a fraudlent degree?

Jun 29, 2012, 01:49PM | #28
mre:
Here is the thing...FW attacked me when I was honestly asking him a question out of curiosity. He began to get very defensive and started assuming things from my post (which were never intended and I apologized for these). He poo pooed my apology, so I began to attack him right back because he appeared to be an arrogant prick. He may be a good guy to you, but he immediately entered my "arrogant prick that lacks self-confidence so is always on the defensive" kind of guy. Do you seriously blame me for my messages concerning him?

Your first question to me was:

mre:
Did you shepardize or was the paper written with law review articles? I wrote a paper in law school entitled "How to Sue a Terrorist" and I found the best way to attack topics like that is to use law review articles (because they also include specific cases). Actually, the fact that many papers are already written regarding many of the law topics available makes writing a legal topic paper somewhat easy if you know what you are doing.

That question already sounded to me like someone either showing off that he knew what "Shepardizing" is or someone hoping to find out that I didn't. In any case, here was my first response.

FreelanceWriter:
I will be the first to admit that I don't do formal legal research on any topic of the type required for law journal submissions and I would immediately decline any project that required it and have done so dozens of times for law review articles, although I don't mind editing them for the quality of writing. This dissertation was for a religious studies program and in a standard referencing style used in that program. I used a wide variety of sources for it, most of which were provided by the client.
I'm really overflowing with the "defensiveness" and "arrogance" there, huh?

That should have been the end of the exchange. Then, instead of asking another question (if you had one) or restricting your statements of ability to yourself, you publicly announced this ridiculous conclusion that I "wouldn't be able to complete an article asking for a case analysis" which I found presmptuous and offensive, as would most other professional writers with law degrees who routinely write case analyses all the time.

mre:
Ah...ok. So you probably wouldn't be able to complete an article asking for a case analysis and your findings of specific facts based on those cases? I am not sure if I would anymore as well seeing as how I do not have access to lexis. Which law school did you attend?

You don't know the first thing about what my capabilities are or what resources I have. If you can't "complete an article asking for a case analysis" because you don't have Lexis, that's you, not me. Speak for yourself and don't publicly announce what type of projects a professional writer you don't even know can or can't write.

So I responded appropriately to that obnoxious nonsense while also directly answering your question about where I went to school:

FreelanceWriter:
I have no idea how you draw the ridiculous conclusion that I "wouldn't be able to complete an article asking for a case analysis" from my saying that I don't work with law journal-style referencing systems and I don't appreciate it, because it's intentionally insulting. But I'm really not interested in the argument you're apparently trying to start with me. Obviously, I can analyze cases. Also, as a graduate of NYLS (or of any other law school, for that matter), I know that there's no such thing as "an article asking for a case analysis and your findings of specific facts based on those cases" because a case analysis doesn't involve "findings of specific facts" in any way, shape, or form. Only judges and juries "find facts" and one very important clue in that regard that you seem to have missed would be that they're both sometimes referred to as "fact finders."

Quite honestly, nobody with a legal education would ever use the phrase "an article asking for a case analysis and your findings of specific facts based on those cases" because it's gibberish that sounds much more like someone without any education in the field slinging "legaleze" that he thinks sounds right. In fact, I still believe that sincerely, and unlike you, I don't base my arguments on the way I "feel" about a person. When challenged by you, I took a few minutes to look around my apartment for something I could scan to prove where I got my degree without divulging my identity. Now, it's your turn, because I'm flat out saying that I doubt you're a graduate of any law school...and that's based strictly on how you use language talking about law and law school. I didn't expect anybody to just take my word for it and nobody here just takes your word for it. I don't even own a scanner and had to ask a neighbor to scan it for me.

So, post something proving your degree now or just do what anybody lying would do in this situation and announce that you have "nothing to prove" to me.
Highly-experienced professional writer located in NYC. JD (Law) from NYLS. nycfreelancewriter.homestead.com/services.html

Jul 1, 2012, 08:58AM | #29
PaulT:
I have delt with FreelanceWriter for about a year now and I have not received anything beside exceptional work from him(A's on all work). He is by far the most polite and honest person I have met on this board. He will tell you straight up if he can or cannot do something.

I also gravitated toward FreelanceWriter because he comes across as very polite, which I greatly value. Unfortunately that last part was true in my case and he wasn't able to take my particular topic. Well, he said he might have been able to do one of them (I had a few), but I had already agreed to have a different writer do it (for $5 a page more...groan) and I didn't feel right about going back on the agreement (even though no work had been done yet).

Now I'm feeling pretty glum because I'm really not happy about the other writer's work [they didn't use any-not a single one-of the sources/material I provided, and they didn't cover the topics I specifically asked for, and didn't even give their work a read-through to eliminate pervasive grammar and typographical errors (repeated words, omitted words, repeated sentences, sentences where it was apparent that it started out with a different structure and was then changed, but some elements of the previous one were left behind, so the sentence was two mismatched halves)]. I didn't want to ask for a revision, because it took so long just to get the paper to start with and I have other papers that the writer was going to complete after the bigger project. The writer missed nearly every deadline, and now I haven't heard from them in a week even though I paid in full for a 12 page paper. Two days ago I emailed to ask if the writer could meet the deadline, and I haven't heard back. That has been very typical throughout the whole process, which has been ongoing for over a month, even though initially they said they'd reply "within minutes" during waking hours.

I paid $40 a page for the big project (47 pages), significantly more than I would have with a company, even a legitimate one, and yet I feel like I am getting none of the perks of using a freelance writer independent of a company. I have no leverage over the writer--if I email about a deadline, the writer can simply ignore it until they feel like replying because what recourse do I have?

What incentive does a writer have to prioritize a private client (hell, not even prioritize, just treat equally!) if they have taken on a full workload of company clients at the same time? I paid more than those other clients did and yet I get less service. I apologize for my off-topic whining, but I feel really demoralized.

Jul 1, 2012, 09:24AM | #30
editor75:
btw, I've often wondered: how does it feel knowing you have a fraudlent degree?

I realize this was asked in a snarky way, but I do think it's an interesting question. I've actually discussed it at length with my psychologist since I struggle with guilt and self-esteem issues, and she worried that by procuring writing services, I would be giving myself another reason to feel inadequate, one that would have long lasting consequences.

However, as it stands currently, I've had to make so many changes and additions to the work I did receive from the writer that I don't believe it will be plagiarism when I submit it, which is actually a huge relief to me. I just hate staring at that blank page, so working from something, even if it's beyond recognition by the time I'm done, is better for me.

Also, even if I were to submit a small paper in a single class that wasn't 100% written by me and me alone, I wouldn't consider the entire degree to be fraudulent. Let's say you'll have an exam over the course materials, which included the reading of two books. You read one but not the other. Lucky for you, the exam was on the book you read and you pass the class. Is your degree fraudulent? Compare that to actually reading both books and understanding all the course material, but having anxiety and depression so bad you can't sit still and concentrate enough to write 10 pages on them. So you buy a paper and then dictate changes to your significant other while you devour chocolate bars to channel your focus--it's all a grey area, isn't it?

I think learning assessments are almost always grey areas--no one will ever learn 100% of every single thing their degree/program had to offer, every "recommended reading for further exploration--optional" book on the list. So no, I won't have a fraudulent degree because I have worthwhile opinions and understanding/perspectives on the material pertinent to my area, which to me is the whole point of education in the liberal arts. Now, if we were talking medicine, yeah, I'd expect a future doctor to read the sections on all the glands in the endocrine system, not just a selected few and then hope that the exam won't ask about the pancreas. Different needs for different professions.

Jul 1, 2012, 10:47AM | #32
Ishy:
What incentive does a writer have to prioritize a private client

I have taken private clients as referrals from friends, and I have always given them top priority, because dealing with friends is much different from dealing with a company. I felt that there was more on the line, so I charged more, tightened the time-frame, and tried to do a better job than I did on the company jobs.

one the other hand, if it's no one you know, from some anonymous chat-room, for example, I'd imagine the incentive declines somewhat.

Jul 2, 2012, 03:11AM | #33
editor75:
if you could find a way to make fewer excuses, you'd probably save on the shrink, too.

Why would I have to make excuses if I just said that all the work I have submitted has been my own?

I'm not sure how common it is to have an academic freelance writer in one's immediate social circle, but in the right circumstance, that would indeed be convenient. I've always said knowing a doctor or nurse was the best, but a mechanic would be a close tie.

Forum / General Talk /

35 users online in the last hour