EssayDirectory - the best essay services!     Guest :
EssayScam ForumEssayScam.org
Students, Writers, Essay Services - The Insider News    
Forum / General Talk / answers: 47 - page 1 of 2

US vs. UK English--the real differences

pheelyks  
Jun 27, 2009, 04:27PM | #
I don't mean to sound ignorant...okay, I do mean to sound ignorant because I AM ignorant; I suppose that's why I started this thread.

Besides the occasional spelling difference (color/colour, etc.) and different idioms and slang (which shouldn't often be used in academic papers anyway), are there actually noticeable differences in US and UK writing? I've never noticed any, but I haven't exactly made a study of the subject.

Jun 27, 2009, 05:28PM | #
Primarily it's the spelling. To a lesser degree, it is the style. Americans prefer a direct, to the point approach while we enjoy our verbiage :) The more complex the sentence and the more complicated the vocabulary, the more it is appreciated. Where British academic writing is concerned, the writer/researcher is expected to show-off his/her command of the language. American English - infinitely more straightforward and less linguistically complex.

Jun 27, 2009, 05:43PM | #
Whenever a client asks me to write in British English, I tell them that I don't really know its differences from American English and offer to back out if it's going to be a problem. So far though, their response has always been that they can fix it themselves after I complete the work. This leads me to conclude that the differences are noticeable but can be easily corrected. However, I've never noticed the differences for myself as well when reading British journal articles.

pheelyks  
Jun 27, 2009, 07:04PM | #
This just makes me sadder that I am unable to work for several apparently reputable UK-based companies. Of course, I have plenty of work during the school year anyway (more than I can handle, at times), but having some extra companies during the thin times would be nice....

Jun 27, 2009, 07:17PM | #
pheelyks:
This just makes me sadder that I am unable to work for several apparently reputable UK-based companies.

Why aren't you able?! You are, quite obviously, very qualified. If they don't recognise that ... well, they aren't very intelligent, are they?

pheelyks  
Jun 27, 2009, 07:28PM | #
I don't take it personally. It's there way of ensuring consistency and quality. I'm still planning on buying a house next year off of my writing revenue, so I shouldn't really complain.

pheelyks  
Jun 27, 2009, 09:16PM | #
writerguy:
What companies are you working for currently?

Not allowed on this forum (it could look like self-promotion). But they're based in the US.

pheelyks  
Jun 28, 2009, 03:28AM | #
OxbridgeResearchers:
skilled academic writers can make a living?

And others are allowed to try. Maybe that's why chacha is so upset--he's tasted freedom and really enjoys it, but freedom tried him and spit him out again. It sucks when customers and companies can choose to reject crap...if you're crap, that is.

Jun 28, 2009, 07:43AM | #
who follows the forum rules anyway? don't be shy.

aside from spelling, UK English has a few different words for stuff too, a lot of it having to do with car parts.

lorry= truck
bonnet= hood
windscreen= windshield
flat= apartment
aluminium= aluminum
etc.

they also drink their beer warm; gross. generally, though, I think the customers want to focus on sources-- UK journals, books magazines, etc.-- and spelling.

Jun 28, 2009, 08:43AM | #
rustyironchains:
generally, though, I think the customers want to focus on sources-- UK journals, books magazines, etc.-- and spelling.

Oh.. yeah. This one I can remember.

OxbridgeResearchers:
Good for you! :) So ... skilled academic writers can make a living?

Sure we can. I also planned to buy my own place about 2 years ago. I bought it last year with money that I made from just about a year and a half of writing homework. :) This sideline is the coolest. :D

Jun 28, 2009, 11:08AM | #
Thanks for confirming that the good writers - those who are academically qualified and fluent in the language they are writing in - can make a living out of this profession! At the end of the day, quality is valued :)

Jul 3, 2009, 10:56PM | #
pheelyks
I think there is no many differences. For me, i can do both the two englishes. If you are qualified like me in mastering all englishes, you shall not be having many a problems. I am work on a dissertation for a PHD student and i am use america ,UK and Ukranian englishes and they are very fined and the paper is become too beautiful and handsome like done by Arlbert einestein(it is to dealing with physics and rules of laws of graviations laws). If you will want to mastered the language, reads a lot of posts of mine, or somebody like shakesphere.My language would be like can be complex some of the sometimes though

pheelyks  
Jul 3, 2009, 10:59PM | #
You are a funny, funny joke, ue. Real or, as is more probable, fake, just plain funny.

Jul 4, 2009, 04:56AM | #
OxbridgeResearchers:
we are a pretty nifty bunch

Proof my statement that everyone other than OR and party is fake.... My little Wh--e Hala from Egypt has finally revealed her intentions......

Jul 4, 2009, 06:08AM | #
chacha421:
Hala

I freely use my real name :) and you have known it for some time or don't you remember?
chacha421:
Egypt

Unlike Thing, I never ever hide where I am and who I am :) BTW, you can log onto the Companies' House and pull my national ID docs - British (and not naturalised either - if you know what that means) :)

Now - shall I post your info here M.A/S.R. from Pakistan ??? :) Oh ... yes ... I forget that you are from Greater Manchester ... Iceland ... where else?

And as long as we are on the nationality topic, has any but you exhibited such determination to conceal their nationality?

Thing - try something else ....

Jul 4, 2009, 06:59AM | #
OxbridgeResearchers:
chacha421:
Hala

I freely use my real name :) and you have known it for some time or don't you remember?

chacha421:
Egypt

Unlike Thing, I never ever hide where I am and who I am :) BTW, you can log onto the Companies' House and pull my national ID docs - British (and not naturalised either - if you know what that means) :)

Now - shall I post your info here M.A/S.R. from Pakistan ??? :) Oh ... yes ... I forget that you are from Greater Manchester ... Iceland ... where else?

And as long as we are on the nationality topic, has any but you exhibited such determination to conceal their nationality?

Thing - try something else ....

So finally the myth of native english writers and speakers has been shattered.. Our great OR is not a native english writer herself however, she claims otherwise.. One more thing is confimed that our great OR is a female unlike she was trying to give an entirely different impresion.. Please post my info too.. I am proud of who I am and never cheat members here by claiming to be a native english speaker..... Please go ahead.. post everything you and your pakistani hacker friends have gathered anything about me.......

pheelyks  
Jul 4, 2009, 11:08AM | #
chacha421:
Everyone other than great pheelyks, OR, WB, EXWRITER, DEARBATS is fake..

I don't think everyone is fake. I think that ukranianexpert is fake. Do you think that this is a real person who really thinks they can write well, Dorothy?

Jul 4, 2009, 12:27PM | #
OxbridgeResearchers:
Actually ... I am :) I speak two other languages but English is my only native language and the first one I ever spoke :) Try something else

Desperation..... clear desperation.....

Jul 4, 2009, 12:30PM | #
pheelyks:
I don't think everyone is fake. I think that ukranianexpert is fake. Do you think that this is a real person who really thinks they can write well, Dorothy?

Yah right.... you don't think everyone is fake but you can decide on your own (without any proper qualification--- I am sure you must be aware of the fact that in academic research, any statement uttered not by a PHD is simply considered as rubbish) so I guess you got a PhD in deciding who is fake and who is not? What criteria you use by the way? Under what moral and legal authority you think ukranianexpert is fake? Yes you are right that Ukranianexpert is fake because in another thread, she has been indentified as WB...

pheelyks  
Jul 4, 2009, 01:08PM | #
chacha421:
Under what moral and legal authority you think ukranianexpert is fake?

The authority is my own opinion. I never claimed that I knew UE to be fake, I said that I suspected it. I also suspect you are a complete moron. These are personal opinions, which I have every right/authority to hold and even to state. I don't misrepresent them as proven facts, however.
chacha421:
Yes you are right that Ukranianexpert is fake

So now you argue with me even when you agree with me? That makes you more than stupid, that makes you an a$$h0le.

Jul 4, 2009, 01:15PM | #
pheelyks:
These are personal opinions, which I have every right/authority to hold and even to state

but why you try to force your opinions on others? Why you force people to believe in you. Let them to be their own judge..

Jul 4, 2009, 01:15PM | #
chacha421:
I am sure you must be aware of the fact that in academic research, any statement uttered not by a PHD is simply considered as rubbish) so I guess you got a PhD in deciding who is fake and who is not?

chacha421:
What criteria you use by the way?

chacha421:
Under what moral and legal authority you think

"What a Crack-pot!" (Retort from my 12 yr old ESL kids)

chacha421:
Yah right....

pheelyks  
Jul 4, 2009, 01:31PM | #
chacha421:
but why you try to force your opinions on others? Why you force people to believe in you. Let them to be their own judge..

I don't try to force others to believe my opinions. I state my opinions. I will also engage in debates with people who disagree with me in an attempt to convince them--through logic--that I am correct. Why is this so threatening to you?

Jul 4, 2009, 01:34PM | #
pheelyks:
I don't try to force others to believe my opinions. I state my opinions. I will also engage in debates with people who disagree with me in an attempt to convince them--through logic--that I am correct. Why is this so threatening to you?

This is'nt threatening to me. It is your delusion that makes you feel that " you are correct" but in fact we know nothing... You must have studied Socrates who once said " I know nothing" I am sure you will not claim that you are a better logician and Philosopher than Socrates...

pheelyks  
Jul 4, 2009, 01:40PM | #
True, we can never truly "know" anything. Why do you come here to argue, then?

pheelyks  
Jul 4, 2009, 01:52PM | #
Because I like arguing.

Jul 4, 2009, 02:00PM | #
pheelyks:
Because I like arguing.

So does I....
Well to be honest, I started to be active on this forum when OR and WB started to accuse me falsely... I promised myself that I will kick them both out because they are derogatory and defamatory in their nature..... I cannot expect such behavior from people who claim to live in UK and still resort to such cheap and pathetic tricks.

pheelyks  
Jul 4, 2009, 02:20PM | #
chacha421:
pheelyks:
Because I like arguing.

So does I....

Then why do you whine and moan and start accusing people of being unfair whenever they argue with you?

Jul 4, 2009, 04:00PM | #
chacha421:

We can all see you are a first class moron chacha lol we don't need anyone to point it out to us lol

You might as well be wearing a sign on your head... oh wait you probably are ... I see the D quite clearly on the hat lol

Forum / General Talk /

35 users online in the last hour