EssayDirectory - the best essay services!     Guest :
EssayScam ForumEssayScam.org
Students, Writers, Essay Services - The Insider News    
Forum / General Talk / answers: 77 - page 1 of 2

What is the best tool to do plagiarism checking?

Apr 20, 2009, 08:53PM | #1
Can any body suggest me a good free tool to do this? I am using plagiarismdetect.com but not sure if it is good enough or not. Also what I heard that papers that are checked with Turnitin Software are saved in the database of Turnitin.

Thanks
Dave

WritersBeware  
Apr 20, 2009, 09:46PM | #2
Raju7575:
I am using plagiarismdetect.com but not sure if it is good

Plagiarismdetect.com is owned and/or associated with a fraudulent essay site from Ukraine. Do NOT submit your content to Plagiarismdetect.com, as it will NOT be protected by US copyright law and you will be absolutely powerless in taking any legal action if they publish your content, without your permission, for commercial gain.

PROOF:

http://www.essayscam.org/Forum/9_769_0.html

http://www.essayscam.org/Forum/12_598_0.html

Apr 21, 2009, 06:27AM | #4
Well, you can always use Viper at scanmyessay.com. Please note, I heard from some people that those guys tend to save the submited essay and use it later on as their own. However, these are unconfirmed infos, and Viper is increasingly popular and quite effective tool for students.

I would suggest you to use turnitin version for students: writecheck.turnitin.com. You have to buy scan credits (5$), and they do not submit it into their database if you use the student version. However, any paper submited through normal version of turnitin will land in their database.

In respect of plagiarismdetect.com I am unsure would that be correct that this provider is stealing the submitted essays. I have heard only positive comments about it, however it doesn´t provide such precise and clear plagiarism report as Viper or writecheck do.

Apr 21, 2009, 01:23PM | #7
Kat the best thing to do is write the paper on your own.
If you have any doubts about the originality of someone's work put random phrase on Google to find out.
You could also check the sources cited in the paper.

In the writing industry plagiarism is confined to crude copying from internet sources.
To some professors it may include using detection of invalid sources/improper citations intended or unintended.
Some software detect the writing style and so on. You may find a way to stop theft the thieves will find an alternate. They will always be a step ahead.

I second WB do not use any online tool. Especially the free ones. I used EVE (essay verification engine) for sometime but their service stopped working. I also use Plagiarism Detector. They all have loopholes. And most importantly it is illegal to send automated searches to Google. Any tool doing so is illegal. And by using it you violate the terms of service. Google is a great free service we should respect their TOS.

If you intend to use a writing service you could use one that provides copies of the sources used in the paper. It may be expensive but you could be sure that the paper is original.

Apr 24, 2009, 06:44AM | #8
I think it is best if you do not address me no more, WritersBeware. You are stuck up on my persona, and you have to let go.

Concerning the Plagiarism Detection - I admit that Turnitin is the most reliable for now. But I am working on an advanced version, which will also be accurate.

I do not save submitted papers in any way. You can check my terms of use, on the website, and if somehow you prove that I save, store, steal or use your submitted information - please sue me.

bambi:
In respect of plagiarismdetect.com I am unsure would that be correct that this provider is stealing the submitted essays. I have heard only positive comments about it, however it doesn´t provide such precise and clear plagiarism report as Viper or writecheck do.

Thank you for those comments. I really appreciate it, Bambi.

Yours truly,
Jeffrey

Apr 24, 2009, 10:13AM | #10
Jeffery,
Personal and legitimate uses only

The Google SOAP Search API service is made available to you for your personal, non-commercial use only (at home or at work). You may only create a single account and must provide accurate identification, contact, and other information required as part of the registration process. You may not create any script or other automated tool that attempts to create multiple Google Google SOAP Search API accounts. And you may not use the search results provided by the Google SOAP Search API service with an existing product or service that competes with products or services offered by Google.
(http://code.google.com/apis/soapsearch/api_terms.html)

I once used such an application and frequently came across the following warning:

"Google Error We're sorry...but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.
If you're continually receiving this error, you may be able to resolve the problem by deleting your Google cookie and revisiting Google. For browser-specific instructions, please consult your browser's online support center.
If your entire network is affected, more information is available in the Google Web Search Help Center.
We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google."

May 7, 2009, 06:45AM | #15
Dear Raju7575,
You are quite welcome. I hope this slander does not affect your decision. There was not 1 relevant evidence of PlagiarismDetect being a scam. And never will be.

Yours truly,
Jeffrey

May 28, 2009, 01:23PM | #20
I heard turnitin.com has a new student versions that allows you to submit your paper for plagerism detection for as low as 5 bucks.... Does anyone know of a free, but effective site/software that probes the net for plagiarism?

May 28, 2009, 02:37PM | #21
crownroyalty:
Does anyone know of a free, but effective site/software that probes the net for plagiarism?

No. You really have mentioned the most comprehensive one as it checks your submission against the web, academic databases and papers stored in its student repository. Even if you have to pay for it, knowing where you stand prior to the submission of your paper for grading, is always the best approach. The `free' alternatives are simply ill-equiped to do the same. Added to that, a member of this forum (WritersBeware) has established that once you upload your paper to their plagiarism-check database, they can use your submission (paper) for their own purposes.

May 29, 2009, 11:39AM | #24
chacha420:
You can use eve2.0. its good tool

It is not free and does not hold a candle to performing a manual Google search which, as humble pointed out, is free. Furthermore, as long as one is paying, turnitin trumps ...

Jun 26, 2009, 11:24AM | #26
I did a little research, and decided, that the FREE account will be left on Google API and it will not contradict any Google's regulations, however the advanced account, will use a different API, a better one, more accurate but a bit slower... Hence I will not be violating any rules and/or policies.

Yours Truly,
Jeffrey

Jul 2, 2009, 10:30AM | #31
bambi:
I heard from some people that those guys tend to save the submited essay and use it later on as their own. However, these are unconfirmed infos

As an AA employee, (the company who owns Viper) can I please confirm this is untrue. We do not resell essays scanned by Viper. Plus, they do not go into the EssayBank.

Thanks. Carly

Aug 4, 2009, 01:33AM | #35
humble
"I second WB do not use any online tool. Especially the free ones. I used EVE (essay verification engine) for sometime but their service stopped working. I also use Plagiarism Detector."

http://plagiarismdetector.com/ apparently is no longer a plagiarism site. Some squater using it as a redirect search engine

http://www.plagiarismdetector.net/ does not exist

http://www.plagiarism-detector.com looks like it may be owned by Jeffery the guy that WB writes about at http://www.plagiarismdetect.com
As everything leads back to Ukraine. See below

Registrant:
Alex Tsebro +1.6477224202
TANGRAM CANADA INC.
24 MABELLE AVE.
TORONTO,ONTARIO,CA M9A 4X7

Domain Name:plagiarism-detector.com
Record last updated at 2009-02-17 02:34:30
Record created on 2007/8/10
Record expired on 2010/8/10

Domain servers in listed order:
ns3.tangramltd.com ns5.tangramltd.com

Administrator:
TANGRAM UKRAINE Ltd. .ua +38.0445319597
TANGRAM UKRAINE Ltd.
04205,KYIV
KYIV,UA,UA 04205

Technical Contactor:
TANGRAM UKRAINE Ltd. .ua +38.0445319597
TANGRAM UKRAINE Ltd.
04205,KYIV
KYIV,UA,UA 04205

Billing Contactor:
TANGRAM .ua +38.0445319597
TANGRAM
04205,KIEV
KIEV,UA,UA 04205

Registration Service Provider:
name: TANGRAM CANADA INC.
tel: +1.8775319597
fax: +1.8666854804
web:http://www.tanhost.com

Also, I have been trying to find eve software. Is that an online service that no longer is active or a software program that can be downloaded and works on one's own computer to check the document, checking against the Internet and databases but does not upload the written work to any online service. In other words the the paper, one's own work, always remains safely on one's own computer, under one's full control.

So Humble, what exactly are you using that you consider safe to use?

Helpful Joe

Aug 4, 2009, 06:29AM | #36
plagiarism-detector.com

EVE - canexus.com

Both are subscription based but not reliable at all.

go to writecheck.turnitin.com/static/home.html

This is the best, safest, most reliable plagiarism scanner.
If you see an option that asks if you want to store you paper in the student repository select "No."
:)

Aug 5, 2009, 05:21AM | #37
Humble

Aren't you worried about WB's warnings about http://plagiarism-detector.com/ and Jeffery and the Ukraine connection?

Regarding writecheck.turnitin.com
Have you read their TOU agreement? I do not think you realize they keep your work on file anyway, but just in a different database. I describe that problem here:

http://www.essayscam.org/Forum/9/warning-use-viper-raptor-plagiarism-scanne r-waive-copyright-own-1062/2/#msg19157

Interesting that http://www.canexus.com/ wasn't accessible the other day an now it is.
Is their service working again?

ALso, does this service work on one's own computer, or do you still have to upload the file to their system, losing all control over your own work.

The only way to maintain control of your own work is to have whatever program or service work on one's own computer, without uploading the file, which gives them control over your work. Trusting these guys is not an option, since they can do whatever they want with your work, and it would be very hard to have any recourse, after the fact.

Helpful Joe

Aug 5, 2009, 05:31AM | #38
Back to square one.

humble:
the best thing to do is write the paper on your own.
If you have any doubts about the originality of someone's work put random phrase on Google to find out.
You could also check the sources cited in the paper.

Aug 5, 2009, 05:48AM | #39
Helpful Joe:
The only way to maintain control of your own work is to have whatever program or service work on one's own computer, without uploading the file, which gives them control over your work. Trusting these guys is not an option, since they can do whatever they want with your work, and it would be very hard to have any recourse, after the fact.

1-Plagiarism detector I talked about is different from Jeffery's
2-Even if the program is installed on your system, it can send the documents to a remote server.

Forum / General Talk /

23 users online in the last hour