EssayScam ForumEssayScam.org
Unanswered [17]      
 
Forum / General Talk / 77

What is the best tool to do plagiarism checking?



Apr 20, 2009 | #1
Can any body suggest me a good free tool to do this? I am using plagiarismdetect.com but not sure if it is good enough or not. Also what I heard that papers that are checked with Turnitin Software are saved in the database of Turnitin.

Thanks
Dave

WritersBeware  
Apr 20, 2009 | #2
I am using plagiarismdetect.com but not sure if it is good

Plagiarismdetect.com is owned and/or associated with a fraudulent essay site from Ukraine. Do NOT submit your content to Plagiarismdetect.com, as it will NOT be protected by US copyright law and you will be absolutely powerless in taking any legal action if they publish your content, without your permission, for commercial gain.


Apr 21, 2009 | #4
Well, you can always use Viper at scanmyessay.com. Please note, I heard from some people that those guys tend to save the submited essay and use it later on as their own. However, these are unconfirmed infos, and Viper is increasingly popular and quite effective tool for students.

I would suggest you to use turnitin version for students: writecheck.turnitin.com. You have to buy scan credits (5$), and they do not submit it into their database if you use the student version. However, any paper submited through normal version of turnitin will land in their database.

In respect of plagiarismdetect.com I am unsure would that be correct that this provider is stealing the submitted essays. I have heard only positive comments about it, however it doesn´t provide such precise and clear plagiarism report as Viper or writecheck do.


WritersBeware  
Apr 21, 2009 | #6
Jeffrey, I thought that you learned your lesson already. I guess not.

WritersBeware, stop slandering about things you do not know.

First of all, please educate yourself. Slander is a VERBAL untruth designed to unfairly harm. What I have typed is not verbal, untrue, or designed to unduly harm-it is simply fact.

Your Ukrainian essay site, customwritings.com, is fraudulent.

Your Ukrainian "plagiarism detection" site links to (advertises) your fraudulent essay site with an "essay" link on its home page.

You have posed as a "satisfied customer" of your essay site in order to intentionally fool customers into believing that your fraudulent essay site is legit.

You are Ukrainian, not American.

Your birth name is not "Jeffrey Smith." That is your new, "American" name that you use to deceive customers.

Your fraudulent essay site breaks American laws on a daily basis.

Apr 21, 2009 | #7
Kat the best thing to do is write the paper on your own.
If you have any doubts about the originality of someone's work put random phrase on Google to find out.
You could also check the sources cited in the paper.

In the writing industry plagiarism is confined to crude copying from internet sources.
To some professors it may include using detection of invalid sources/improper citations intended or unintended.
Some software detect the writing style and so on. You may find a way to stop theft the thieves will find an alternate. They will always be a step ahead.


I second WB do not use any online tool. Especially the free ones. I used EVE (essay verification engine) for sometime but their service stopped working. I also use Plagiarism Detector. They all have loopholes. And most importantly it is illegal to send automated searches to Google. Any tool doing so is illegal. And by using it you violate the terms of service. Google is a great free service we should respect their TOS.

If you intend to use a writing service you could use one that provides copies of the sources used in the paper. It may be expensive but you could be sure that the paper is original.

Apr 24, 2009 | #8
I think it is best if you do not address me no more, WritersBeware. You are stuck up on my persona, and you have to let go.

Concerning the Plagiarism Detection - I admit that Turnitin is the most reliable for now. But I am working on an advanced version, which will also be accurate.

I do not save submitted papers in any way. You can check my terms of use, on the website, and if somehow you prove that I save, store, steal or use your submitted information - please sue me.

In respect of plagiarismdetect.com I am unsure would that be correct that this provider is stealing the submitted essays. I have heard only positive comments about it, however it doesn´t provide such precise and clear plagiarism report as Viper or writecheck do.


Thank you for those comments. I really appreciate it, Bambi.

Yours truly,
Jeffrey

Dear Humble,
I disagree with you about that automated searches thing. Then why does Google give away their API?

Yours truly,
Jeffrey

Apr 24, 2009 | #9
Jeffery,
Personal and legitimate uses only

The Google SOAP Search API service is made available to you for your personal, non-commercial use only (at home or at work). You may only create a single account and must provide accurate identification, contact, and other information required as part of the registration process. You may not create any script or other automated tool that attempts to create multiple Google Google SOAP Search API accounts. And you may not use the search results provided by the Google SOAP Search API service with an existing product or service that competes with products or services offered by Google.
(http://code.google.com/apis/soapsearch/api_terms.html)

I once used such an application and frequently came across the following warning:

"Google Error We're sorry...but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.
If you're continually receiving this error, you may be able to resolve the problem by deleting your Google cookie and revisiting Google. For browser-specific instructions, please consult your browser's online support center.
If your entire network is affected, more information is available in the Google Web Search Help Center.
We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google."





May 7, 2009 | #14
Dear Raju7575,
You are quite welcome. I hope this slander does not affect your decision. There was not 1 relevant evidence of PlagiarismDetect being a scam. And never will be.

Yours truly,
Jeffrey



WritersBeware  
May 28, 2009 | #17
READ: essayscam.org/Forum/12/plagiarism-scanner-plagiarismdetect-598/#msg10944

May 28, 2009 | #18
So is turnitin.com the only real plagerism detection site that will give back trusted and scrupulous results?

I heard turnitin.com has a new student versions that allows you to submit your paper for plagerism detection for as low as 5 bucks.... Does anyone know of a free, but effective site/software that probes the net for plagiarism?

May 28, 2009 | #19
Does anyone know of a free, but effective site/software that probes the net for plagiarism?

No. You really have mentioned the most comprehensive one as it checks your submission against the web, academic databases and papers stored in its student repository. Even if you have to pay for it, knowing where you stand prior to the submission of your paper for grading, is always the best approach. The `free' alternatives are simply ill-equiped to do the same. Added to that, a member of this forum (WritersBeware) has established that once you upload your paper to their plagiarism-check database, they can use your submission (paper) for their own purposes.





Jun 26, 2009 | #24
I did a little research, and decided, that the FREE account will be left on Google API and it will not contradict any Google's regulations, however the advanced account, will use a different API, a better one, more accurate but a bit slower... Hence I will not be violating any rules and/or policies.

Yours Truly,
Jeffrey





Jul 2, 2009 | #29
I heard from some people that those guys tend to save the submited essay and use it later on as their own. However, these are unconfirmed infos


As an AA employee, (the company who owns Viper) can I please confirm this is untrue. We do not resell essays scanned by Viper. Plus, they do not go into the EssayBank.

Thanks. Carly


WritersBeware  
Jul 8, 2009 | #31
essayscam.org/Forum/12/plagiarism-scanner-plagiarismdetect-598/#msg8142


Aug 4, 2009 | #33
humble

"I second WB do not use any online tool. Especially the free ones. I used EVE (essay verification engine) for sometime but their service stopped working. I also use Plagiarism Detector."


plagiarismdetector.com apparently is no longer a plagiarism site. Some squater using it as a redirect search engine

plagiarismdetector.net does not exist

plagiarism-detector.com looks like it may be owned by Jeffery the guy that WB writes about at plagiarismdetect.com

As everything leads back to Ukraine. See below

Registrant:
Alex Tsebro +1.6477224202
TANGRAM CANADA INC.
24 MABELLE AVE.
TORONTO,ONTARIO,CA M9A 4X7

Domain Name:plagiarism-detector.com
Record last updated at 2009-02-17 02:34:30
Record created on 2007/8/10
Record expired on 2010/8/10

Domain servers in listed order:
ns3.tangramltd.com
ns5.tangramltd.com

Administrator:
TANGRAM UKRAINE Ltd. .ua +38.0445319597
TANGRAM UKRAINE Ltd.
04205,KYIV
KYIV,UA,UA 04205

Registration Service Provider:
name: TANGRAM CANADA INC.

Also, I have been trying to find eve software. Is that an online service that no longer is active or a software program that can be downloaded and works on one's own computer to check the document, checking against the Internet and databases but does not upload the written work to any online service. In other words the the paper, one's own work, always remains safely on one's own computer, under one's full control.

So Humble, what exactly are you using that you consider safe to use?

Helpful Joe

Aug 4, 2009 | #34
plagiarism-detector.com

EVE - canexus.com

Both are subscription based but not reliable at all.

go to writecheck.turnitin.com/static/home.html

This is the best, safest, most reliable plagiarism scanner.
If you see an option that asks if you want to store you paper in the student repository select "No."
:)

Aug 5, 2009 | #35
Humble

Aren't you worried about WB's warnings about plagiarism-detector.com and Jeffery and the Ukraine connection?

Regarding writecheck.turnitin.com
Have you read their TOU agreement? I do not think you realize they keep your work on file anyway, but just in a different database. I describe that problem here:

http://www.essayscam.org/Forum/9/warning-use-viper-raptor-plagiarism-scanne r-waive-copyright-own-1062/2/#msg19157

Interesting that canexus.com wasn't accessible the other day an now it is.
Is their service working again?

ALso, does this service work on one's own computer, or do you still have to upload the file to their system, losing all control over your own work.

The only way to maintain control of your own work is to have whatever program or service work on one's own computer, without uploading the file, which gives them control over your work. Trusting these guys is not an option, since they can do whatever they want with your work, and it would be very hard to have any recourse, after the fact.

Helpful Joe

Aug 5, 2009 | #36
Back to square one.

the best thing to do is write the paper on your own.
If you have any doubts about the originality of someone's work put random phrase on Google to find out.
You could also check the sources cited in the paper.


1-Plagiarism detector I talked about is different from Jeffery's
2-Even if the program is installed on your system, it can send the documents to a remote server.


Aug 6, 2009 | #38
Undertow2, Perhaps that means you surf in Rio, Brazil, worst undertow I have ever experienced, and a friend of mine died there as a result.

First, Humble, How do you do that quote stuff. When I do it, there is no highlighting.
Second, I and everyone I know Always WRITES OUR OWN WORK AND WE DO OUR OWN RESEARCH.
Third, if you have ever read anything about what is considered plagiarism then you know the definition can be as narrow as quoting "ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country" without referencing JFK, or as broad as ALL PARAPHRASING OF SOMEONE ELSE'S IDEA without referencing that work, to plagiarizing YOURSELF. I can give you references from the narrow to the broad, but you can find most of it on turnitin.com. It is an interesting read.

Clearly, when anyone and everyone writes their own work or research, they think it is original, done for the first time in their own way, but generally it is not. What is needed is to have a tool that can check your work, and tell you when you have missed a reference for an idea or have inadvertently quoted someone without realizing it, simply because THEY SAID IT FIRST. Most often ethical people don't even know they are repeating someone. For example "if I had more time, I would write a shorter letter" is most often attributed to Ben Franklin, but in actuality, if you research that phrase, you find that the correct reference is not Ben nor Samuel Johnson, as so many English teachers think, but actually in my research in defense of of a friend accused of plagiarizing it:

Although the quote "If I had more time I would
> >write a shorter letter" has been attributed to
> >many people, Samuel Johnson (September 18,1709 ­
> >December 13, 1784) was not one of them, at least not that I could find.
> >
> >I have found it attributed to Robert Sayre
> >(18-Aug-1924 still living, US Ambassador to
> >Brazil, 1978-81), Issac Asimov (January 2, 1920 ­
> >April 6, 1992), Mark Twain (November 30, 1835 ­
> >April 21, 1910), Ben Franklin (January 17, 1706 ­
> >April 17, 1790), Voltaire (1694-1778), Blaise
> >Pascal (June 19, 1623­August 19, 1662), and
> >Marcus Tullius Cicero (January 3, 106 BC ­ December 7, 43 BC).
> >
> >However the only direct publication of this quote
> >that I can find is in Blaise Pascal's 18-letter
> >series that was published between 1656 and 1657
> >under the pseudonym Louis de Montalte, and it incensed King Louis XIV.
> >http://www.answers.com/topic/blaise-pascal
> >
> >Pascal's actual Letter XVI December 4, 1656
> >translated by Thomas M'Crie
> >http://www.sacred-texts.com/phi/pascal/prov.txt
> >"The present letter is a very long
> >one, simply because I had no leisure to make it shorter"
> >
> >Original French:
> >Blaise Pascal said, "Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus
> >longue parceque je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la
> >faire plus courte "I haven't made this [letter]
> >longer because I haven't had the time to make it shorter."
> >wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/3131019313
> >
> >Voltaire may have used the quote but he certainly
> >did not originate it, since " Voltaire called the
> >Letters [Pascal's] "the best-written book that has yet appeared in France."
> >http://www.answers.com/topic/blaise-pascal
> >
> >So unless someone can find a written document
> >from Cicero from 106 BC to 43 BC, I think Pascal
> >is the one that deserves the credit.

So you see fellows and ladies, when you really get into plagiarism and your database includes all the written work since the beginning of time, you find that RARELY is there any original work, and one must ethically REFERENCE properly. The plagiarism checkers are not designed to help people steal credit for essays they have not written or research they did not do, they are designed to HELP ETHICAL PEOPLE THAT DO THEIR OWN WORK, credit the work of people before them that their current ideas are built upon, whether they could have really seen that work or not.

In actuality, true definition of Plagiarism is copying someone's idea or work, but implied is that YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN IT TO COPY IT. If you did know it existed, then you did not plagiarize. However proving a negative is impossible. Most honest people will be found to have inadvertently plagiarized because they may have copied someone's work through a surrogate, because everything we learn IS taught by people that have all regurgitated books and previous work written, or likely too, we as humans are bound to say or write things identically to someone who has said it before in our several thousand year written history.

Humble,

"1-Plagiarism detector I talked about is different from Jeffery'
Actually it does not appear to be different, please see = http://www.essayscam.org/Forum/12/best-tool-plagiarism-checking-995/#msg192 17 Or plug in that site into any whois search engine and you find it goes back to the servers in Ukraine.
This is for the one you mentioned = plagiarism-detector.com

I do not know about Eve

"2-Even if the program is installed on your system, it can send the documents to a remote server." Is this about Eve?

Certainly I realize that is true, which is why I would like to find one that WORKS on one's own computer checking one's original work against the external databases and Internet, to be sure I have control over my work, and I have given proper credit to others whose work I may have never seen or know about.

Think of it this way, Copyright infringement in music is copying 12 notes. Yet with the millions of songs out there, how can any composer know if they have copied 12 notes somewhere in their music. Mathematically it is likely to occur, worse, they will not realize they have heard the song somewhere in their life, incorporated into their subconscious, and now in the depth of musical genius, they think that it has come forth as original music, when in actuallity it has not. Worse it might be 12 notes, THEY really did think up on their own, but someone else HUMAN did it already long before them and published it. Clearly it is not copying if they never heard it, but since the original author has no way to know that, it is assumed they have heard it and have copied it. Since we are all human, growing up in similar cultures, languages, thought, written work and anything we create is likely either be built on other people's work, or perhaps thought up by someone we are completely unaware of or had the opportunity to experience when we thought it up ourselves.

Example, I created an invention, only to find out when I went to investors, a 2 month search of the industry found someone else had created it and patented it 10 years earlier. I had never seen that work, but yet there it was.

So in the final analysis, what a plagiarism checker is supposed to do is help us be ethical BEFORE THE FACT by telling us when we HAVE NOT referenced other people's work properly, whether we have seen it or not, somewhere in our written human history. Yet most often it is used AFTER the fact to try to punish people that genuinely have done their own work, but somehow have not referenced work written somewhere on this planet some time before, that they likely have never seen. Clearly, I am not talking about the guilty that intentionally plagiarize but try to disguise their work, since they should be caught. But the innocent should not be penalized for not knowing every written word that is presented in ever book, library, or Internet website, that exists, but yet they have not seen, or worse, forgetting to reference a work they forgot they read, but had no intention of plagiarizing, because they do not have a running footnoter in their brain.

So is there a Plagiarism Checker that works on one's computer checking against the growing external databases and Internet, and does not upload the file to any external source? similar to the way patent searches work. Clearly when you are trying to patent an item, you do NOT want to upload your work anywhere to have it checked. You would like to keep your work secret, and check the external databases FIRST, before presenting your work for patent.

Regards,
Helpful Joe

Aug 6, 2009 | #39
To quote highlight the text and hit 'quote' next to 'reply' at the bottom of the post.

So is there a Plagiarism Checker that works on one's computer checking against the growing external databases and Internet, and does not upload the file to any external source? similar to the way patent searches work.


Not in my knowledge.




Forum / General Talk /

26 users online in the last hour